Fiery competition combines ancient warrior dance
with modern flair
- 21st Annual World Fireknife Championship
The world’s most talented fireknife dancers battle for the premier title “World Fireknife Champion” at this thrilling must-see event. Competitors face off in four divisions, including the world’s original group competition.
- High School Samoan Cultural Arts Festival
Hawaii high school students demonstrate their knowledge of Samoan traditions competing in protocol and speech making, basket weaving, coconut husking and fire making, costuming, poise, dance movements and interpretation.
When: May 8-11, 2013
- Wednesday, May 8 at 6:30 p.m. – Samoan Village
Senior Division Preliminary Competition
- Thursday, May 9 at 6:30 p.m. – Samoan Village
Junior Pacific Divisions Senior Division Semi-Finals Open Group Competition
- Friday, May 10 at 7:30 p.m. – Pacific Theater
Senior Division Finals Night One (during intermission of Ha: Breath of Life evening show)
- Saturday, May 11 – Pacific Theater from
9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Samoan Cultural High School Arts Festival 7:30 p.m. – Senior Division Finals
- Night Two of the Senior finals and Crowning (competition during intermission of Ha: Breath of Life evening show, awards immediately following the conclusion of Ha at 9:00 p.m.
Where: Polynesian Cultural Center
55-370 Kamehameha Hwy, Laie, Hawaii
Why: To share and educate others about the Samoan culture and challenging art of Samoan Fireknife while also crowning the world’s best fireknife dancer.
Admission: Tickets are $10 for adults, ages 12 and up, and $6 for keiki ages five to 11. Kamaaina Annual Pass holders and full-day ticket holders receive free admission for the first two nights as well as the Samoan Cultural High School Arts Festival on Saturday.
To join in on the final two nights of festivities, visitors must purchase a reserved seating ticket to the Ha: Breath of Life night show each evening. Ticket prices start at $45.
For more information …or to make reservations, please call the Polynesian Cultural Center ticket office at (800) 367-7060 or visit Polynesia.com. In Hawaii, call (808) 293-3333.